Open House #2

This morning was Oliver's open house. He was able to go with me to meet his teachers and classmates. We are fortunate that his summer school teacher will have him in her class this year, too. She is fantastic!! Oliver spent the first 10 minutes screaming, but his teacher put on some music for him (always calms him down) and starting rolling a ball back and forth. Then all of a sudden he hopped up off of my lap and began to play. I was so proud of him!! He tried on hats, put all of the stuffed animals on a boat, and played with some fake food - he found 2 ice cream cones he kept trying to eat. All of the crying over the summer was worth it. He is going to have a much better transition into the school year, because of his experience at summer school. I am so thankful the school district allowed him that opportunity.

Oliver is also going to ride to the bus to and from school. I am still nervous about putting my little boy on the bus, but we are going to give it a try. He may actually love it - Waverly does.

Comments

Anonymous said…
oh that bus thing!!!!! As a special education preschool teacher I can tell you that that is the #1 issue with parents. I could tell you endless stories of parents following the bus for weeks to make sure their kids are ok! As parents we worry about their safety, will they cry, who will comfort them.....? Unfortunitly the turn over with bus drivers are high, thus we have new stress and worries for our students each year. After 17 + years of teaching special ed preschoolers and hearing the true concerns of parents, know your child will be safe of that "bus." Know that if ther is an issue, as educators, and moms ourselves, we will address it. Know that your child's safety and well being is #1, education is #2 and parents needs are #3. (or so that is my personal agenda). Without a safe child I can not teach them and with out a parent who is comfortable with me and my approach I will not be successful. It is a full a circle and you are important and you are heard! I continue to be inspired by your daily challenges and dedication to your children. Know your words impact others and in Steilacoom we strive that much more to make a difference with our students becauuse we hear your needs. Best of luck this school year.

Helen

Popular Posts