It's Been a Year

 



I graduated last month with my MSW. Three years of challenging classwork and internships. I had spent many years trying to figure out my vocational purpose and it wasn't until Waverly and Oliver died that I realized a career as a social worker was the answer. I am able to utilize my talents and skills, along with the many lessons I learned along the way as Waverly and Oliver's mom and caregiver, to support families. I have taken a position working in a pediatric hospice as a social worker and grief therapist. This is difficult work. Sacred work. Stepping into delicate spaces with families, offering support in an unfixable situation. I have to leave my grief behind as I enter to serve other children and those who love them. It is a space I feel comfortable in, a space I can be of help in, and a space my children prepared me for.

Waverly should have graduated this year. She should be preparing for a gap year, university, or some other fabulous adventure. I walked across a graduation stage in her place. I donned a cap and gown. I added her name to my cap. A little reminder that because of her, I am here. 

For Waverly. For Oliver.

Comments

Beautifully written , Amazing how time flies . Congratulations on your graduation.You are now again in a place of need , how perfect you are to help . It was meant to be … ��
Anonymous said…
Congratulations! You say it beautifully, after a very long journey as Waverly and Oliver's mom and completion of your MSW, you are now prepared to enter into a sacred space with other families, on a similar journey to your own.

I can only believe that you will be a blessing to each person that you encounter in your new position.

What a beautiful tribute to Waverly, I am sure it was most meaningful to you. The picture of your cap took my breath away.

Wishing you peace and continued healing,
Kelly M
Congratulations on your graduation! What a wonder career you have embarked on where you are able to transform the tragic losses of Waverly and Oliver into help for others. I admire your courage and determination!
Anonymous said…
Congratulations Shannon. And Waverly. And Oliver. And Matt.
Sending love.
Anonymous said…
It's wonderful to hear from you again. It does my heart wonders as I think of you often and check in periodically to see if you have posted an update. I am grateful to you and how you used your grief and pain to help others. You are an inspiration to me to go back and finish my degree and help others as well. Congratulation! 

Popular Posts