Yet Another

In the past 2 days I have heard from 2 families who have a child recently diagnosed with Sanfilippo.  I volunteered to speak with newly diagnosed families through the MPS Society, especially for those with multiple children affected.  I really love the opportunity.  I remember calling people in the days after we received Waverly's diagnosis.  It was such a horrible time.  I was desperate to speak with someone who understood.  I don't remember having any expectations in the conversations.  I just absorbed whatever I could from their experiences and found comfort in our similar stories.  Now I am on the other end of the phone.  The moms are just barely holding it together, weeping throughout the conversation, head swimming with so much information and so many questions.  I remember so clearly that feeling.  It is grief, not in the traditional sense, but we grieve all of our expectations, hopes and dreams.  I remember staring at Waverly and feeling like she was going to leave us at any moment.  It was hellish.

Many people told me "it will get better".  I understand where they are coming from, but it never gets better.  The sadness just deepens.  The tears flow more intermittently.  I am no longer consumed by Sanfilippo.  My emotions can feel as raw as they felt that day, especially when I hear the sobs of a mom desperate for a cure.

After each call, I hang up and cry.  I can close my eyes and remember those days so clearly.  I hate know that another mother is facing this nightmare tonight.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I read your blog every morning. With each post I need to pause and let my heart get around your words.
ATLKrafts said…
I know that you are providing comfort to those other moms, even in the midst of your pain. What a blessing that is to them.
Kristy said…
Shannon - I rarely comment, but I have been following along with your blog. I appreciate that you're so willing to share your struggles, and I want you to know that I am constantly lifting you and your family up in my prayers.

Today I felt compelled to comment, because it is such a beautiful thing to me that, despite the pain and grief it causes, you are talking to these families. Thank you for letting God use you this way, even in the midst of your suffering.
maureen said…
Shannon,

I follow your blog everyday and love to ready about your family. You write so raw and so beautifully at the same time. My sister is a big advocate for Angelman Syndrome (my nephew was diagnosed at 8mos old). He is now 10 and the geneticist often puts her in touch with newly-diagnosed families. It really speaks volumes of your character that you choose to speak to families and revisit those horrible days following Wavey's diagnosis. You all need each other. Praying for your family always!
Jenkins said…
So glad you can talk with other families. You love your children so much and no matter what, that is amazing to hear.

My heart hurts for you.

Popular Posts