Guilt & Shame

Mourning is messy.

This is a small glimpse into Oliver's bedroom. His dresser is stacked high with cards, letters, left over programs from his funeral, paperwork from hospice and copies of his death certificate in that big manilla envelope. There are boxes scattered on the floor filled with toys and candle holders. His backpack is still hanging from his closet door with a progress report sticking out of the unzipped pouch.

None of this matters to me or bothers me at the moment. It's not time. I want to continue living among the memories of his life as it was - magical thinking. I first read Joan Didion's book titled The Year of Magical Thinking in the days before Oliver was born. I read it again last year in the months before he died. It is a quasi-reality state where one believes that which happened didn't or, in my case, that I can somehow will myself to change the course the events.

It is all a very normal aspect of grief. I can convince myself that if I try hard enough I can go back and stop Oliver's death. It is incredibly intense when I look at photos or videos from the months prior to his passing. I then have to logically talk myself through the events, glossing over the traumatic end, and remember that he is, in fact, dead.

I don't remember this feeling after Waverly died. I think it may be because my life continued on in much the same way. Muscle memories kicked in and care taking for only one child, while different, was much the same. I struggled with the heaviness of end of life decisions Matt and I had to make, yet when I we spoke about them rationally, I was able to quiet the internal voice of guilt.

Now I am floundering. I have lost my daughter. I have lost my son. I have lost myself. My role as their caregiver is gone and I am unsure how to even begin to move forward. Oliver's death was very traumatic. It was unlike Waverly's, which was relatively peaceful and in our home. Oliver's was chaotic and rife with pain. He suffered and I have tremendous guilt that I was unable to prevent it. I am angry with the medical professionals who cared for him, because I do not think they listened to our screams of concern. I haven't been able to revisit his final days, because I am simply too fragile to withstand the tremendous pain.

My sorrow, my lament is covered by a thick layer of guilt and shame. Guilt that I failed Oliver. Shame that I am so mired down by my grief. Grieving isn't only intense sadness. It is a conglomeration of emotions - sadness, anger, guilt, shame, exhaustion, isolation, avoidance, embarrassment, rawness, fear and so much more.

So here I sit almost three months after Oliver's death. My barometer for what constitutes is good day has dramatically shifted. Showering, eating, taking a walk, making coffee, brushing the dogs, meeting with a friend are all seen as successes. And in the midst of me barely getting out of bed, I watch Matt. He is up early, working a stressful job, full of energy to cook and clean. His response to grief is staying active and doing. I struggle with comparison - the thief of joy. Why is he so strong and capable? Why I am so weak and broken? Yet I thank God that he is able to provide for us, to carry the load. Joy and Sorrow. Pride and Shame. Gratitude and Guilt. All mashed together in this thing we call grief.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Shannon
I read your every word. It is never easy to use “words”to express what lies at the core of our being.

Let me rephrase.

I find that words are insufficient and betray MY every effort.

Your words are so open and revealing and poignant and cathartic and honest and real and so much more- but again- the words just fail ME in my effort to express how they open my heart and soul to your grief. Is it fair for me to confess that? Can there be beauty in writing about the agonies of such profound loss? Yes!

I have read Joan Didion’s beautiful book. Your words resonate and reach a new level of eloquence. There is purpose and power in your writing.....

Crystal Hinman said…
It sounds like you are doing so much more than you think you are. It sounds like you are surviving in the impossible abyss of grief. I am glad you and husband are a natural team. Thinking of you.
Kimberley said…
Praying for you. For the days and for the nights.
Unknown said…
Praying for you.
lesley said…
I am so sorry that Oliver had such a difficult time passing. I also would feel so angry that the medical professionals did not listen to me. Why, in this day and age, does this even have to happen? As my daughter will pass before me at some point in the next few years due to BPAN, I am trying to set up palliative care, will use hospice as appropriate etc. I am ready to talk to her doctors as the time approaches, scream even, in order to give her a peaceful passing. However, even with my being a RN, I know it is 50/50 whether it will happen. No matter how much I prepare, try to pave the way, at the end of the day there is the distinct possibiity that is will be out of my hands when push comes to shove. I will not have control and it will be heartbreaking, as you have had to experience. You did nothing wrong. We can only do our best. Dying a good death is something that our medical community has very little training in. At one of my daughter's recent checkups, I wanted to speak with her MD about preparing for her death, in any way that's possible within the medical community. She listened and when I was done her response was "This is so sad". Ummmmmm, yes but that's not the point here. Grrrr.
I dont know, it is discouraging and I am so sorry that you and Oliver had to go through that. It is not your fault, you did the best you could for your sweet boy. It's all any of us can do. Hugs to you.
Kristin Mattocks said…
I am sorry, Shannon. I have been reading your blog for many years now and have watched, with great respect and awe, how strong you have always been. When many of us have been having silly worries over our kids--are they happy? are their grades good? do they have good friends?--you have been dealing with something much more important, and much more painful. Please do not underestimate your strength over these past few years. I have been watching you and feeling incredulous about how much you have been able to withstand, gracefully. It is ok to feel weak and tired and angry right now. But also know that at some point you will find that strength again, and you will use that strength to help others. And those people will be better for the love and compassion that you are able to show them, which comes out of your strength in loving Oliver and Waverley. I fully believe this.

Popular Posts