November Guest

The Nats have clinched the World Series title in an epic game 7. Matt and I attended the watch party at Nats Park. It was such fun cheering on our team with 36,000 fellow fans. And the moment they won was more emotional than we thought it would be. We screamed and jumped, elated by the win. We also embraced and held one another for a while, wishing Oliver could be watching the game with us.

And just like that, October baseball was over and November came rushing in.

Our church celebrates All Saints Sunday on the first Sunday in November. I love the act of remembering loved ones who have died in the previous year. We submitted a photo of Oliver and awaited his face smiling at us from the chancel. It was a lovely moment to have him there with us.

"My sorrow, when she’s here with me,
Thinks these dark days of autumn rain
Are beautiful as days can be."
- Robert Frost - 

I am a fan of the days growing shorter. It allows the evenings to feel moody, with candles lit and lamplight casting shadows. I love being in a cozy environment and November delivers. We are entering a busy season for all, but especially for our little family. Birthdays and death anniversaries all happen within these two months. It all feels overwhelming.

My grief feels like a blanket during this time of year. I want to curl up with it, allow its warmth to envelop me. It serves as protection and comfort. It is a friend, a companion.

Comments

Popular Posts