Sticks & Stones

I hate the saying "sticks & stones will break my bones, but words will never hurt me". I took the kids to one of our favorite parks this morning to meet up with some friends. While we were there a group of school girls started making fun of Waverly and made her cry. It was heartbreaking. I kindly (restraining my desire to break their bones) told them that Wavey couldn't hear. They didn't seem to care and went on playing. Girls are mean. It was the first time that I saw Waverly really get that they were not being nice to her. It made me incredibly sad and my desire to create a safe & loving environment for her was increased immensely.

Comments

Ellen said…
Shannon,

Ughhh. That is sooo frustrating and sad. I know that there have been times girls have tried to "bully" Emily - and I chimed in like mama bear. . . it really makes you feel awful. I'm sorry!
Blaza said…
That makes me sick to my stomach!!! The closest thing I have experienced was two boys a little older than J.T. on the playground calling him a baby as he was trying to join them in their game of chase. He didn't realize that they were being mean but I was still furious! I don't think I could have been held responsible for what happened if he had realized it and it hurt him. Kudos to you for your restaint!! I am so sorry for you and for Waverly that it happened!
I remember when some horrible little girl was leading a ring of other horrible little girls to be mean to Charis. She was only 18 months old, so she didn't get it, but I did--and definitely almost ripped those girls apart limb from limb. It's hard to be "adult" when kids are being mean to your precious little ones. I'm so sorry you and Waverly had to experience that. I also applaud your restraint!
Mike and Sarah said…
Shannon... that made me want to cry. That is SO difficult! I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

Popular Posts