Our Anthem

The song "Miracle Drug" by U2 has been our anthem since the day Oliver was born. I had hoped that I could shelve the song when Oliver was out of the NICU, but things just kept coming up, causing that song to become more and more relevant to our situation. Here are the lyrics:

I want to trip inside your head, spend the day there. To hear the things you haven't said, and see what you might see. I want to hear you when you call. Do you feel anything at all? I want to see your thoughts take shape, and walk right out. Freedom has a scent like the top of a new born baby's head. The songs are in your eyes. I see them when you smile. I've had enough I'm not giving up on a miracle drug. Of science and the human heart, there is no limit. There is no failure here sweetheart, just when you quit. I am you and you are mine, love makes no sense of space and time... will disappear love and logic keep us clear. Reason is on our side, love. The songs are in your eyes, I see them when you smile. I've had enough of romantic love, I'd give it up, yeah, I'd give it up. For a miracle, a miracle drug. God I need your help tonight. Beneath the noise, below the din, I hear Your voice, it's whispering. In science and in medicine "I was a stranger You took me in". The songs are in your eyes. I see them when you smile. I've had enough of romantic love, I'd give it up, yeah, I'd give it up. For a miracle, a miracle drug.

I love that song! I often think about all of the things Waverly wants to say, but just can't. I would give anything to help her.

I'm another year older today.

Comments

Mike and Sarah said…
Happy Birthday, Shannon. I'm praying for a "miracle drug" for your two little ones. I know that our God is capable of anything!
Matty McFatty said…
The backstory to the song makes it even a more powerful expression of hope than may be apparent at first. There was a kid who went to Bono's school who was a paraplegic as the result of cerebral palsy and having been deprived of adequate oxygen for a few hours as a baby. The boy's mother raised him for ten years without ever hearing a word from her child, never knowing if he was a sentient being or not. The boy was able to move a neck muscle with the help of a new drug. With something looking like a unicorn horn on his head, this small movement allowed him to type. Not only was he conscious to the world, he was so aware he went to write poems and books. His first poem was "I learn to bow," an expression of his gratitude to God. His first book, Damburst of Dreams, went on to win literary awards. Pretty hopeful stuff.
Unknown said…
Happy Birthday Shannon! And I'm in tears from reading McFatty's post...

Popular Posts