Same Yet Different

This is Oliver's Sleep Safe bed. He has had it since he was about three years old. In fact, he moved from a crib directly into this bed. I put a lot of effort into petitioning our insurance to cover the cost. It was life-changing for us. Matt and I could sleep knowing the kids were safe in their own beds, unable to get our or fall out.

A few weeks ago, I had the urge to pass it on to another family. When these moments occur, I tend to follow my intuition. I posted the bed on Facebook and within a few special needs groups, I belong to. Almost immediately, friends of ours from Orlando expressed interest. And with some fortuitous timing, we drove the bed to their friends in Williamsburg who would drive it to Orlando. They sent me a photo tonight of their sweet little girl sitting in it along with her brothers. It warms my heart to know this bed will continue to provide comfort to another family.

So many things, each holding varying amounts of sentiment. His bed held quite a bit. The sounds of Oliver's feet tapping the side panels, causing a unique rattle. Trying to stealthily climb out once I got him to fall asleep. Watching him climb in all by himself almost up until the end when he could no longer find the strength. I slept next to this bed on an air mattress for six months, intuitively knowing that his time was growing short.

I immediately replaced the missing space with another twin bed. Same sheets, stuffed animals and pillows. Same smell. Yet vastly different.

Comments

Popular Posts