The Answer is No

I have been very distracted the past several months.  My blog posts have been sporadic and maybe a bit less personal.  I had a lot on my mind, but I haven't wanted to say anything until we had some answers.

Shire Pharmaceuticals is conducting a first phase trial for Enzyme Replacement Therapy (ERT).  They are going to be placing a port into the backs of a sample group of children and administering the enzyme our kids are lacking into the CSF (cerebrospinal fluid).  The hope is some of the enzyme can pass through the Blood-Brain Barrier and begin to have an impact on the body.  They are not sure what effect the enzyme will have, but they are hoping it could either slow the disease down, stop the progression or even reverse some of the damage.  It is certainly not a cure, but it could potentially be a form of treatment for kids with Sanfilippo Type A.

The trial is being conducting in the UK and the Netherlands.  As soon as I caught wind of the study, we contacted the doctors in the UK regarding their sample group.  We wanted to be sure they knew about Waverly & Oliver.  We knew a move back to the UK would be difficult, but we were willing to do whatever possible to give our children a chance.  Matt spoke with people in the department and they were so supportive.  They were willing to transfer Matt back to the London office, so our kids would be able to participate.  Everything felt like it was coming together.

Our interactions with the doctors in the UK were not as positive.  I am sure they were being bombarded by families all over the world who wanted one of the coveted spots.  We thought we had a real shot - given the fact we had lived there perviously and Matt could easily transfer back.  Unfortunately, they decided to limit the sample to only those children residing in the UK and the Netherlands.

I have reduced this ordeal to a mere few paragraphs, but it was months of hoping.  I cannot even begin to explain the sadness.  It is something to do, instead of feeling hopeless.

Waverly & Oliver are participating in the Natural History study in MN.  That study is basically the control group for the ERT Trial.  Shire is hoping the US trial could begin as early as 2012, but given what I have learned watching medical research, that date could easily get moved back by months or even years.  We are hopeful that the European trials are going to show some kind of effectiveness, to help them push to get it to trial in the US.

For as disappointed as we are that our kids cannot participate, I am elated that Sanfilippo is getting some attention and people are actively working towards finding a cure.  Please keep those families who have children in the trial in your thoughts and prayers.  It is a huge sacrifice of time to participate, let alone the emotional toll and trust in the doctors to keep their kids safe.  They are helping future families in an incredible way.

Comments

Ashley said…
I'm so sorry. I can't imagine your disappointment. This post made me cry. I've been following your blog for some time, my husband and I are both '02 TU grads. My heart breaks for your situation and I can't tell you how highly I think of you and your husband. The way you love your children, hold on to your faith, and walk this journey you have been given... it just amazes me and encourages me in Christ. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us, and I pray that there is another trial that your sweet children might be able to participate in that would yield positive results. They are beautiful. Blessings to you and your family.
Anonymous said…
There are no words for the depth of sympathy I am feeling right now.


Nancy
Aubrey. said…
Grrrrrrrrr!!!
Aubrey. said…
Grrrrrrrrr!!!
Anonymous said…
so unfortunate ... to be so close to something and be so close to tangible hope, and then to be told no. My heart breaks for you. We will just have to keep praying for another opportunity to come your way.

Always thinking of and praying for your family.
susan chapin said…
I am so sorry Shannon. I am getting mixed messages recently as to whether it is funding or the government that is holding up these trials in the US. We have had the opportunity to meet with the Director of Health and Human Services and our local Congressman recently and are opening some doors politically. Is there something in particular we can work on with these relationships? I am excited about the possibility of things progressing with research, but am frustrated that the US is so far behind Europe. Please let me know how we can help. Our children deserve better!
Joanne Huff said…
Hi Shannon,

This post brought tears to my eyes, and I recently realized I was crying over so many losses. I'm sad over this loss of time, as far as having to wait almost 2 years for things to take off here in the US, I'm sad that you weren't admited into the UK trial when I really feel you should have been, and I'm sad knowing that your kids (I feel) could really be ones to benefit from ERT and yet still knowing that you are hearing the second hands on the clock tick.

The roller coaster of emotions this disease puts us through as parents is already enough. I just wanted you to know how much we're thinking of you. We know that we will read many exciting updates on your blog in the future regarding Waverly and Oliver being a part of something truly spectacular that benefits their future! Many hugs to you, Joanne

Popular Posts