School Supplies

I was in Target earlier this week and very excited parents were in the school supplies aisles selecting backpacks, pencils, and folders for their children. A mom and her adorable little girl were working on selecting a lunch box. They were checking off items from a list of things she would need for kindergarten. It was such a simple task. But it is one that all parents cherish...and usually shed a few tears over.

I have been shedding many tears this week anticipating the arrival of Waverly's list. Her checklist will be significantly different than most. I am so thankful for her placement. She is going to be in a small class with other moderate to severe special education students who are within a few years in age. She will have a 1:1 assistant to guide her through her day. Her school bus is a little one with an attendant on board and she will be donning her special safety vest.

Her first day of kindergarten is rapidly approaching. And in the midst of the back to school excitement, I cannot help feeling sad. I wish she were a healthy little girl, excited about the new friends she was going to make, what outfit she would wear and which backpack to select. I wish she could talk to me about her nervousness and ask the cute little questions that 5 year olds are known for. I love her for exactly who she is, but I wish she could be who she is supposed to be. A happy little girl, free of this terrible disease.

We have to work to find a cure.

Comments

Cari said…
I get so sad when I see a little girl picking out her cleats for soccer or talking with her little friends about dance class...these little reminders of MPS are so painful.
Laura said…
I've been sad about school supplies, too.
The Leivas said…
I know exactly what you mean. I'm with you there! Thank you for being such a strong example of looking forward to the good things that Waverly will have this year to help her to enjoy school.
Joanne said…
I feel the same. This is such an altered experience from what it was suppose to be, and while I try not to focus on that, there are small reminders for me every day, such as you described. It's so hard not to wonder what if...
Misty said…
We are working hard to get funding to help find a cure! Please know that we all do care so very much and it is now my life mission to find a cure for Sanfilippo syndrome, Misty
www.miracle4will.com

Popular Posts