IEP Time

Oliver is all set for school next year.  I went to his IEP meeting yesterday afternoon.  I know that most parents (and teachers) dread IEPs.  Thankfully, ours have almost always gone well.  Once everyone at the table has a clear understanding of Sanfilippo and the progressive nature of the disease, things go quite smoothly.  Oliver will attend summer school for 4 weeks with her current teacher.  (She is AMAZING!!!)  We all decided that moving Oliver into a move global development delay program, versus a hearing impairing communication based program, is in his best interest.  We will miss his current school and especially his teacher, but as of now he is set to attend Waverly's old preschool program.  He may even have her old teacher, whom we also adore.  The only other option is requesting that he be placed in the preschool program at Waverly's elementary school.  It would make things easier, but there are some complications to that plan.  I am so thankful for our school district.  It is gigantic, but it serves our family well.

Comments

Carrie said…
I am a special education teacher and until the last two years (now an autistic support teacher) have taught children who have multiple disabilities- or as you put it global developmental delays. I much prefer that population. In anycase I just wanted to say that for once it is nice to read about an appreciative parent. I often hear about problems with placement and not getting the services you want and complaints about teachers, etc. It is so nice to read about a pleased parent! I read your blog often because your kids remind me so much of the students I used to work with and I so miss it! I have worked with a few kids with progressive illness and it is tricky as a teacher but I often wondered how parents dealt with it throughout the years. Thanks for sharing your story!

Popular Posts