Anne with an E

I love "Anne of Green Gables".  I read the series when I was a little girl.  Then I discovered the movies.  I used to watch them with friends on girls' weekends and sleepovers.  One day many years ago, Matt and I were working in Utah and staying in a hotel for 2 months.  I came home after a long day to find he had rented a TV/VCR combo and bought me the video tapes.  I was given the book for my first Mother's Day. This past Mother's Day, Matt gave me the DVD collection.  

Anne has always been a part of my life.  I was so excited to have a little girl.  I wanted to read her the books, as we snuggled in her bed.  I wanted to stay up late on a snowy night watching the movies and eating popcorn together.

It was one of the little things I mourned when Waverly was diagnosed.  I know that I can still read her the stories and show her the movies, but it simply isn't what I had imagined it would be.

Last night, my niece and nephew spent the night.  Matt was working late and I was trying to find a movie for us to enjoy.  I found the DVD collection in the closet and asked my niece if she was familiar with Anne.  She has read most of the books, but didn't realize there was a movie.  I tried to hold in my sheer delight when I asked her if she wanted to watch it with me.  She thought it would be fun and we spent the next 2 hours in Avonlea laughing with Anne.

About an hour into the movie, my eyes welled up and the tears fell.  I was overjoyed to finally share the movie with a very special little girl, but I couldn't help missing Waverly.  She should have been there with us, snuggled between her mommy and favorite cousin.

This isn't the way it was supposed to be.

Comments

The Leivas said…
I can identify so much with this that it almost hurts to read you write about it. I had the exact same hopes and dreams about sharing Anne with an E (and Laura from the prairie) with my daughter. And I have cried over the loss of that dream more than a few times. I am glad that you were able to share Anne with another little girl but I'm sad that Waverly wasn't there.

If I ever find a million extra dollars just laying around or if I win the lottery I've always said that I'd go to Prince Edward Island for a weekend. Initially I was going to take my grandmother as she introduced me to Anne when I was little but she doesn't travel and you can't share that experience with just anyone. So would you be my PEI travel buddy someday, that is of course if I win the million dollars or the lottery and everything else magically falls into place.
Thank you for sharing. Laurie
Cheryl said…
Thank you for speaking out your joys and sorrows, your holding onto's and letting go's, your rainy clouds on a blue sky day all mixed up together. All together, somehow, it is perfect. I believe - help my unbelief. Absolutely perfect in this imperfect world where God's kingdom is already and not-yet. Praying often for your days.
Joanne Huff said…
Shannon,

Tears are welling up in my eyes and falling just in reading this entry. This loss you write of hits so close to home. I wish it didn't have to be.

Hugs to you tonight, Joanne
Lisa L said…
I am so terribly sorry. So, terribly sorry.
Cari said…
I sometimes feel like I am experiencing death by a thousand small cuts.
lesley said…
I love Anne and understand your sadness. It's the little private things that hurt the most.
You are doing awesome with the kiddos, they look great!
Isn't this summer so humid? It's so hard for the kids to tolerate it. I think Sarah thinks it's the winter :)Mostly she is inside in the AC.
Jenkins said…
Eyes with tears...

I too love Anne. It was my sick day, snowed it, just cause I wanted too, thing when I was growing up.

Someone just said to me this weekend that keep telling your kids stories (she was talking about the Bible). They may not fully understand them now but when they are fully healed and in heaven they might say "I heard that story" or "I remember".

I am always guessing how much Brayden understands.

Popular Posts