Bright Red T

I am not exactly sure why kids who have Sanfilippo chew objects incessantly.  Doctors assume it is to meet a sensory need, others say it is due to the damage in the brain and still others think it is pleasure seeking.  Whatever the reason, I hate it.  Wavey began putting toys and books in her mouth around age 3.  All of a sudden she reverted back to infancy.  It was one of the first signs that something wasn't quite right.  We tried everything to get her to stop - slapping her hand, taking away the toy, using gross tasting products - nothing seemed to work.

I remember after the kids were diagnosed with their hearing losses, I took Wavey into a local preschool classroom.  The county offered her a place in preschool for early intervention.  There was an adorable little boy with a red rubber T-shaped toy dangling from his shirt.  The teacher told me he could chew on the T throughout the day in order to meet his oral need.

Then months later, Wavey's OT in London presented me with the very same red T.  She thought that Waverly would benefit from using it throughout the day.  My first thought was the boy with the T attached to his top.  I remembered him so clearly.  I remember thinking he "really had" special needs.  I took the T, determined not to use it.  However, Wavey loved it and it allowed her to play with her other toys while chewing on the T tube.

To me, the bright red T signified the onset of Sanfilippo.  It had always been lurking, but once the chewing appeared, we couldn't hide from Sanfilippo any longer.

Yesterday, Oliver's teacher wrote me to say that Oliver has been putting toys and books in his mouth much more often than he used to.  It is an impulse he cannot control.  Matt and I have noticed the change at home, but we didn't want to vocalize it.  Saying it aloud made it real.

It feels a bit like we have reached the pinnacle and now we are beginning the descent into MPS world once again with our little boy.  It is difficult with Oliver, because we know what is coming.  All of the changes we have endured with Waverly are inevitable with him, except we anticipate them.  I hate watching my son taken over by this disease.

The chewy T is now a part of Waverly's life.  It is typically seen in most photos.  We have multiples Ts stashed around the house, car and diaper bags.  I will find the occasional T in the laundry.  She loves her chewy tube.

And now they are going to become a part of Oliver's life.

I guess I need to order more bright red Ts.

Comments

Jen said…
We have completely felt the same way. You try so hard to not admit that they need the chewys but they really sooth Ryan so much. Brayden still has his Binky so he just chews on that for now :)
Jen said…
We have completely felt the same way. You try so hard to not admit that they need the chewys but they really sooth Ryan so much. Brayden still has his Binky so he just chews on that for now :)
Carrie said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carrie said…
Chewys are amazing for kids that need them. When I was a Multiple Disability Support teacher, I used to have a drawer full of them. But I can imagine the sadness that comes when your child needs them. I had a deaf blind student who had facial features that were unusual and he kept his balance while walking by spinning his arms like propellers. He needed to chew on things constantly so we gave him a chewy. His mother threw a fit because she felt that this alone made him appear "Special Needs".
It was one of those moments where I just sighed and that is all I could do!

Popular Posts