Proud Owners of a Wheelchair


After months and months of waiting, Waverly's wheelchair was delivered today.  It is bright pink and so pretty.  She enjoyed sitting in it, except when we tried out the tilt function.  She does not like being laid back when she is awake - it scares her.  We had such a difficult time choosing the most appropriate chair for her.  She was too big for most of the less involved special needs strollers, so we thought we would get this one knowing she will eventually need all of the bells and whistles.  It does fold, like a very large stroller and it comes with a nice travel duffle bag for trips.  It has a little tote bag attached to the back for carrying diapers and snacks.  It is "tie down read", so she will be able to use it on the bus.  Once she begins to have more difficulty with the bus stairs, she will be transported to school in her chair.  It has lots of support functions for her head, torso and hips.  It also has an attachable tray and canopy.  Everything one could want for comfort and transport.

So why am I so sad?  I have spent the last hour staring at it.  This bright pink reminder of what is to come.  It has not been an easy day.

However, I am so thankful that we have insurance to pay for such an expensive piece of equipment.  This chair costs more than my first car (Thanks for the deal, Dan!)  I think it is a smoother ride than the Omni, too.  






Comments

Laura said…
She sure looks beautiful in it!
Joanne Huff said…
Hi Shannon,

I feel almost like I want to wish you congratulations and apologies combined. It is a beautiful wheelchair that you picked out for sweet Waverly, it is a fantastic color and there are so many features I know you will enjoy having. That being said, we've had a wonderful customized purple wheelchair for Sasha for about a year now. It has not been in our house for many months. I too would find myself staring at it and cryig and so it is banished to school grounds until further notice. I'm glad we'll have it when we need it, but for many months now I haven't been able to even think of using it. Some days this whole thing just seems so surreal. Seeing a photo of Waverly in a wheelchair is one of those days. I just want a cure for our wonderful children.

Sorry to rant! I just had to post and let you know I'm thinking of you all and I understand what a tough day this must be for you. Many hugs, Joanne
karen said…
i'm so sorry that this is a part of your life. what a horrible thing, to have to pick out a wheelchair for your child. waverly does look comfy and happy in it, though, and as far as wheelchairs go, that one is pretty nifty looking. who knew they came in pink? thinking of you,
karen

Popular Posts