December Already

I cannot believe it is December already.  Fall always goes by so quickly with birthday celebrations and Thanksgiving.  I have a feeling December will fly by as well.  I have been working on Christmas shopping for the kids.  It is becoming easier.  I used to get hung up on what I wish Waverly would like to play with, instead of what she is able to play.  I found some great chewy type toys and those that can attach to her chair/stroller with links.  Oliver still loves to explore new toys, but I am choosing ones that I think will be useful for a longer period of time.  Plus no small pieces!

I remember when the kids were first diagnosed, other parents of children with Sanfilippo would say "it gets easier".  I thought they were crazy!  But I think that I am beginning to understand their point.  The pain from the diagnosis doesn't lessen.  In fact, the depth of sadness from the disease grows.  However, I am becoming used to our new normal.  My expectations have been adjusted and it seems easier to cope with the day to day.  This doesn't mean I don't have moments or situations that overwhelm me or cause me to breakdown.  I do!  However, the shock has worn off and I am settling into life as I now know it.  It only took 20 months.

Comments

Joanne said…
Hi Shannon,

I know just what you mean about things getting easier from an adjustment standpoint, and yet the sadness deepening. I sometimes feel like when time flies, that means my time with my daughter is fying by, too.

I am so glad that you are having fun shopping for the kids this holiday season and that overall, a new normal has been found and embraced as much as it can be.

Joanne, Sasha's Mom
Joanne said…
Hi Shannon,

I know just what you mean about things getting easier from an adjustment standpoint, and yet the sadness deepening. I sometimes feel like when time flies, that means my time with my daughter is fying by, too.

I am so glad that you are having fun shopping for the kids this holiday season and that overall, a new normal has been found and embraced as much as it can be.

Joanne, Sasha's Mom
Cari said…
I'm glad and 20 months is really not long at all!

Popular Posts