Tuesdays

Tuesdays are always busy days.  Both of the kids have their therapy sessions - Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy - all at different times.  I spend most of the day running them back and forth to schools and the therapists' office.  Today I had to pick Oliver up at school.  This is the first time he didn't take the bus home.  When I walked into his classroom, the kids were watching a video while the teachers were getting lunch ready.  Oliver was walking around the room, a bit aimless.  When he saw me he burst into tears.  He ran to me and then backed away - he was so confused.  Transitions from mommy to school/therapy do not typically go very well for him.  He is quite attached and doesn't like saying goodbye.  But once I took his hand and picked up his jacket he was okay.  He did insist on wearing his backpack though.

Oli has blossomed since he started school.  Summer school was 4 weeks of adjusting to the separation and learning the routine of school.  These past 3 months he is beginning to interact with the other children and truly enjoys their company.  I tend to spend less time with Oliver among his peers.  When he was younger, he tagged along to play dates with children Waverly's age.  And then once we moved back to DC, we simply weren't around a lot of other kids anymore.  When I walked into his classroom today, I was able to watch him for a few minutes before he noticed I was there.  I saw how he didn't sit with the other kids, but rather wandered around away from the group.  Wavey used to do this all of the time at this age.  I remember that around age 3, I really began to notice the differences between her and other children.  It hit me that I am beginning to see those same differences in Oliver.  They are expected and I have been anticipating them, but it was still painful to see.

He is doing beautifully.  He is continuing to learn and develop new skills, just at a slower pace than the other kids.  I am so proud of my little boy.

Comments

Popular Posts