2nd Anniversary

March 20th came and went.  It wasn't until late last night that Matt asked if I was doing okay.  It was then I remembered yesterday marked the 2 year anniversary of Waverly's diagnosis.  I had mentioned it throughout the week, yet it totally slipped my mind.  I guess it was better that way.  Although I can't seem to get it off my mind tonight.

Wow - 2 years!  It feels like yesterday and another lifetime.  That day brought the answer we so desperately wanted.  After months of wondering what was happening to our beautiful little girl, we were given a reason for the changes.  That day also brought extreme heartbreak.  I will never ever forget the first question I asked of the experienced old doctor after he said "Waverly has Mucopolysaccharidoses III or Sanfilippo Syndrome".  Is she going to die?  Our young neurologist, who was playing with Wavey over in the corner, stifled her cry.  "Yes."  The tears came from deep within.  I remember the crying ebbed and flowed.  One moment I was on my knees weeping and the next I was asking questions, desperate for the "but there is a treatment option".  (It never came.)  The doctor gave us information about support groups, transplants, research, genetic counselors.  He told us to enjoy each moment we have with Waverly.  We asked about testing Oliver and got all of the necessary paperwork, but I knew in my heart that he had it as well.

Our lives changed drastically that day.  What a defining moment.  Each moment became more valuable.  I would stare at Waverly, trying to memorize each feature.  I took the camera everywhere so I could capture every event, big or small.  My soul wept every day.  I didn't think I was strong enough to handle the diagnosis.

But here I am 2 years out and life feels *normal*.  It is our normal, but we have settled into a routine and grown accustomed to our unique challenges.  I no longer cry every day.  Sanfilippo still creeps in, but it doesn't block the kids anymore.  I used to look at Waverly & Oliver and see the disease.  Now I see them - the most beautiful, precious children.  The signs of Sanfilippo are there - strong eye brows, long eye lashes, enormous amounts of hair, thick tongue.  Their bright eyes and glowing smile dominate.

The pain has matured (not sure if that is the right word, but it seems most appropriate.)  It is deep within. More private.  I still cry - often.  The pain hasn't lessened, but it doesn't rise to the surface as it used to.

********************

I am listening to one of my favorite songs on repeat as I type.  It is by Over the Rhine, titled "Professional Daydreamer".  The first verse is beautiful and speaks to my soul.

"Part of me
You are a part of me I never want to lose
Hard for me
This is too hard
Maybe I can't get through
What will I miss the most
Pray that I'm haunted by your ghost"

Comments

Hello. I am a frequent reader of your blog, but I don't comment often. I found out about your family through Ann Snow-Schmidt, who knew you from college. She told us about you when Waverly was diagnosed and we've followed you ever since. I want you to know how amazing I think you are! I know that this has not been where you had seen your life at this point, but you are giving strength to so many people, and I hope it brings you strength in return! My prayers are with you, and your husband, and those precious children of yours! May God bless you!
Joanne Huff said…
Shannon,

It's really something that the anniversary of our daughters diagnosis' is so close together, and that we both wrote of how we "sort of almost" forgot. It's a weird sense of relief mixed with a shudder to realize that the day has almost simply come and gone.

I wish that diagnosis day could ultimately de altered to include that "but there is a treatment" option that you wrote of. What a wonderfully euphoric day that will someday be!!
karen said…
oh shannon, i don't know what to say. but i didn't want to read about the 2 year anniversary of waverly's diagnosis and not acknowledge it.
Unknown said…
Bless you, Shannon and Matt. May God wrap His arms around your family each day as you walk through this. You are being prayed for. Shannon, I love your line "Sanfilippo still creeps in, but it doesn't block the kids anymore"- that is so beautiful. Your kids are precious and I'm so happy that you've reached a place where you can see them and enjoy them without Sanfilippo overshadowing who they are. I will continue praying for moments, hours, days of pure joy for you all and may God continue to give you His peace. So thankful for you, friends...
What a very powerful post. Thank you for sharing your heart with us.
Anonymous said…
What a brave family you are. What very lucky kids to have a Mommy that sees them so well.
ATLKrafts said…
You have great bravery to face each day and it humbles me every time I read your blog.

Popular Posts