Surgery Success

Waverly did beautifully today!!  Her doctor is amazing and took such good care of her.  She was actually able to get into the OR about 30 minutes early, which was a bonus.  The anastethiologist was fantastic and allowed us to go into the induction room while they gave Waverly the strawberry flavored gas to put her under.  The doctor wanted to scope her airway to be sure there weren't any issues - common problem with MPS.  Her airway was fine, so they moved along with the surgery.  They removed her enormous tonsils and adenoids in a short amount of time and then she was back in recovery.

After surgery, her doctor came to speak with us in the waiting room.  He was carrying a little jar.  He said they had to pull her upper front tooth, because it was loose and they didn't want it to accidentally get knocked out or cause any trouble if there was an emergency.  Her tooth was in the jar, along with five $1 bills.  He told me that the tooth fairy already visited.  :)  I actually got misty eyed as he gave me the tooth.  Wavey has lost 4 teeth already and each one has disappeared - either her swallowed them or we just couldn't find them.  I was so excited to actually have one to save.  The fact that some of the operating staff chipped in a few dollars to act as the tooth fairy was so heart warming.  We are so fortunate to have such compassionate doctors and nurses.

We went straight back and Wavey was very aggitated.  When she wakes up from anastethia she thrashes around and gets very upset.  Matt & I held her and talked to her.  Within about an hour she had fallen back to sleep and woke up a few hours later happy.  She was excited to drink juice and eat popcicles.  Dora was on and life was good.  She didn't fuss the rest of the day.  She fell asleep around 9:00 and hopefully she will have a fairly good night's rest.  As long as there are no problems tonight, she will be home in the morning.

Thanks for all of your messages, thoughts and prayers.  It is a routine surgery, but still difficult to see you child in pain.  I appreciate the support from all of you.

Comments

Traci said…
So glad the surgery went well!! I read your blog regularly, but don't comment often. For some reason your tooth fairy story made me cry! Not sure why, but hey--I shared a tear with you I guess. Our kids are about the same age and it always breaks my heart to read your stories. I always smile when our kids are experiencing the same things--like the tooth fairy! Have a great day Shannon. You are in my thoughts and prayers often.
Jan said…
What a wonderful story of compassion from the doctors being the toothfairy! Makes me smile :) I was with your sister this morning and heard Waverly is home already, yay!

God bless you 4 -

Jan
Anonymous said…
Good job Waverly!
ATLKrafts said…
made me misty-eyed as well... glad she is doing well.
Joanne Huff said…
I really love the story of the tooth fairy, that is really something! Such a truly heartwarming moment.

I am so glad that Waverly did so well, way to go Waverly! You are such a trooper!

Thinking of you all often,
Joanne
Joanne Huff said…
I really love the story of the tooth fairy, that is really something! Such a truly heartwarming moment.

I am so glad that Waverly did so well, way to go Waverly! You are such a trooper!

Thinking of you all often,
Joanne
Beth said…
So glad she did well with the surgery. Hope you're all home now and settled in for healing.

Popular Posts