Memory Boxes

I have been saving almost everything the kids make at school, camp, Jill's House, where ever.  Their closets are filled with plastic bins, decorated with their names in puffy stickers. I am running out of closet space. So I had the brilliant idea that I would go through the bins and keep only those things most precious - with their handprints, photos or those items that are originals (not done by the teacher using hand over hand techniques). I opened up Waverly's closet this afternoon and gazed up at the stacks of bins, full of memories and treasures. I couldn't do it. I couldn't even pull down one bin and peek inside.

A task for another day perhaps.

I am fully at home in our little Sanfilippo world. I feel cozy here. Just me, Matt and my sweet babies. I used to long to return to the days prior to diagnosis. The bliss of ignorance. Now I simply want to hold onto each Sanfilippo filled day, because at least we are all together and safe. The future is beginning to weigh heavier on me each day. November is just around the corner. Waverly's 9th birthday. Oliver turns 6 the following month. I need time to slow down.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You have been on my mind the last few weeks. I am praying for you. My heart hurts for you and what you are going through.
Anonymous said…
Praying for you still.

Have you thought about scanning the other things? Or even scanning even the favorites, too, and making a shutterfly or other such book with their art? Shutterfly and many other sites often have great deals at various times or a free first book, it would let you keep even replicas of the other pieces...or all of them in a form easier to pull out and look at more often. Wavey and Oliver might enjoy that, too!

Lisa in San Diego
Joanne Huff said…
What a touching post, Shannon. I can certainly relate to all your are writing about. With time, as the diagnosis starts to settle, the focus really does move to wanting to enjoy time and simply how things are. Thinking of you, Joanne

Popular Posts