Those adenoids won't be bothering anyone again

I've long craved a guest blogging assignment on Shannon's blog and I finally got it: the tonsils and adenoids surgery update.  

It was a long day for the whole family.  Shannon took Oli to the Children's Hospital a little after 6:00.  Surgery ended up being postponed until some time after 10:00.  Oli really likes waiting rooms, but panics as soon as he sees someone in scrubs.  In his 2+ years on earth, he's been around enough to know nothing good comes from someone wearing scrubs.  He pretty much screamed every time a doctor or nurse got near him the rest of the day, which made for a long day for Shannon.  He didn't want her out of his sight. 

The surgery itself appears to have gone well.  Afterwards, our doctor told us Oli would be out in about 10 or 15 minutes.  The fact it took nearly 45 minutes made us nervous there may have been a problem with the anesthesia, but we weren't told there were any issues.  He looked a little worse than we expected too.  I think there is a popular notion (at least this thought still lingers in my brain since childhood) that the tonsillectomy was just an easy way to get to eat ice cream for a week.  We were surprised at how uncomfortable he was and by some of the other post surgery issues we had not anticipated (I'll spare you the details, but here's a hint: I had to bring Shannon a couple of changes of clothes).  

I went down to the hospital after work to see them both as the Pennsylvania based grandparents took care of Waverly for the day.  I know it does not look good to say that I was sitting at my desk when my son was laying on the surgeon's table, but the reality is that we've got more hours of procedures and appointments than I have of sick leave.  Oli shot his arms up for me as soon as he saw me and Shannon was thrilled to get a break from holding him and eat the delicious dinner I brought for her.  When I left the hospital Oli was nodding off to sleep and Shannon was hoping for a little bit of shuteye hereself in what could turn out to be a long night of intermittent sleep for both of them. 

Thanks for all your love, prayers, and concern.  If I have not too gravely damaged Shannon's blog's reputation, I might see you back here as a guest poster sometime.  

Matt

Comments

Unknown said…
Bravo "guest blog poster"!! Glad to hear Oliver's surgery went well. You're all in my prayers!
Christine said…
Thank you for the update! So glad the anesthesia didn't present any issues! Praise God!
The Leivas said…
Loved the guest post! I know that my husband feels the same way about missing out on some of our daughter's appointments/procedures for the same reasons.
E said…
Thanks so much for the update--I've been praying for you all today. We just went through the tonsil/adenoid thing at our house 3 weeks ago and you're right--it's not a walk in the park to the ice cream truck! In fact there was no ice cream consumed because cold things hurt more than warm things. We'll continue to keep you in our prayers as you go through the recovery process. Praying it's a speedy one!
Jan said…
thank you for the update and know of continued prayers for Oliver and the rest of him family too.
aprilfoolwed said…
So happy that everything is okay now! Keeping you all in our prayers!
Anonymous said…
Daddy done good.
Joanne Huff said…
Hello Shannon and Matt,

I am so happy to read that all went well for Oliver, that is great news!!! And good job on the guest reporting to Matt! Please let know Shannon I'm thinking of her and that I miss her here in cyberworld! :) Joanne (Sasha's Mom).
Anonymous said…
yea!!! we have been praying here at the Blenis house! Glad all went well. Glad the grandparents are there too! Hoping you all can enjoy your time together! Can't wait to see you guys SOON! Give those babies a kiss from Grace and Luke (and Kate too!) Matt you did great! :)
Kristin
Kim said…
So thankful that everything went okay for Oliver. Praying for you guys!

Popular Posts