Let's Talk About Poop

I don't want to be too descriptive or go into too much detail, but poop has a major impact on our lives.  Unfortunately, many kids with Sanfilippo have chronic diarrhea.  It occurs many times each day.  Waverly typically has at least 1 clothing change per day, but sometimes 2 or more.  The reason I wanted to talk about this unseemly topic is that it truly does dictate what we do, where we go and when we go.  At times I feel like we are held captive by poop.  It usually involves the fact that there is not a great place to change her (she is obviously too big for the fold down changing tables - so is Oliver).  And I do not like the idea of laying her down on a disgusting restroom floor - yuck.  Plus, with each "movement" there is leakage and that can cause additional headaches.


Our kids go through enough because of this tragic disease.  For some reason the poop thing has always been a stressor for me and a huge frustration.  Nothing seems to help - diet, probiotics, supplements.  And it always strikes at the most in opportune times - in the check out line, on rides, car trips, restaurants, bus ride home from school, etc.  I hate Sanfilippo.  I hate poop.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I hate both of those things too. How frustrating!

Courtney
megan said…
hey, i know you said you've tried supplements...have you tried reliv? i don't know if you'd be able to get the kids to ingest it (i have a hard time myself due to the texture), but it may help. if you're interested i could ask my mom (who sells it and swears by it) if she could research if there is a history of kids with sanfilippo using it and what the results have been.
Anonymous said…
I wish I had some happy thoughts for you, but there's just no silver lining in diarrhea. This disease sucks.
Anonymous said…
I love your honestly. I would agree Sanfilippo and Poop stink. No pun intended.
Anonymous said…
While I cannot say I totally understand what you are going through, I can relate to some of the things you are going through. I care for my elderly mother and the restroom thing has always been a problem. If you cannot always know what is available it is just easier to stay home where you are comfortable with the surroundings. This is my first comment, and may be one of only a few, but I do check in every day to see what is happening in your life. I admire you for how you are so open about your situation and frustration with what "life" is and how things are going on an every day basis. Take care and hang in there.
Anonymous said…
O.K. another idea, you midified diet, did you elliminate dairy? The next thing I would do is have them allergy tested. Will vomitted for a year every...single...day...Found out he is allergic to beef and chicken. Good luck and I agree Sanfilippo stinks!!!Misty
Amy B said…
I hate it too. )-:
Jenkins said…
It stinks all around!

Popular Posts