Open House

Today was open house at Waverly's new school. Being the type A mom that I am, I came prepared with a binder in hand for the teacher. I included a lot of information about Sanfilippo and 2 pages of "Wavey Tips" (favorite books & songs, ways to calm her, how to feed her, her patterns, likes & dislikes, etc). Waverly's new school is only a few miles from our home and is currently undergoing major construction. When we toured the school last year, the special education classroom was huge. I loved the extra room for Wavey to wander. Unfortunately, her new room is tiny. There is zero room for movement. Her teacher is incredible though. She has a lot of experience with moderate - severe special needs students and she has observed Waverly in preschool a few times. I feel very confident that she is going to be a great fit for Wavey.

The only hitch is the school has yet to hire a 1:1. There has been a mix-up regarding paperwork and approval. The principal, who we really like, is going to submit the necessary form tomorrow. I hope the powers that be will see the urgency in providing Wavey with an assistant. It is going to be a tough first week for her, since it doesn't look like things are going to come together by Tuesday.

Comments

Joanne said…
Oh Shannon,

I'm so sorry to read about this glitch with the 1:1 aide! I'll be hoping that things come together quickly and that everything is lined up in time for the start of school. I'm so happy to read about the wonderful special ed teacher who will be with Waverly this year. That's great news!!

Popular Posts