Pizza Fridays

We are in the midst of school week 2.  I am still trying to adjust to this new routine.  It is so strange to have both kids in school in the mornings.  Oliver is doing really well.  He still cries a bit when we put him on the bus in the morning, but the tears stop there.  His teacher says he never cries once he is at school and only whimpers during some transitions.  His favorite time of the day is circle time...especially when there is music incorporated into the activity.  He has been doing much better with his participation and he is vocalizing so much more than he used to.  Although it is still difficult to make out words, he is attempting speech sounds, which is incredible.  I pack Oliver lunch every day (they have lunch together before heading home - they can work on feeding skills and social skills during the meal).  Well Fridays are pizza days.  (I did not know this.)  Oliver noticed that some of the kids were eating pizza from the cafeteria and got upset.  Needless to say, I have started a lunch account for him so he can join in on pizza Fridays.  He loves the bus ride home.  There is nothing cuter than seeing his little face peeking around the seat as they pull up.  I can hear him squealing in delight and his smile is heart melting.  I love being able to meet him at the bus stop every day.

Waverly is also doing well.  There is a significant difference between preschool and kindergarten, I am discovering.  And even though Waverly is in a self-contained special education class with other children of varying grades, it is very much "big kid school".  The classroom doesn't have the toys and play areas like last year.  It seems more structured.  It is confusing being that Waverly is at a lower developmental age today than she was this time last year.  But she seems to be enjoying herself.  I have less contact with her teacher at the moment.  I have only met her one time.  (I am hoping this will change after our parent night next week.)  The school just got Waverly a new chair that is untippable and much safer for her.  We have yet to get a 1:1.  I am trying to be as cordial as I can, since it is the beginning of the year.  I don't want to have the "demanding parent' label, however, I also need to make sure Wavey is safe while in the school's care.  She is her happy, giggling self when getting on and off the bus.  She is such a joy.

Comments

Jenkins said…
Oliver and that smile when he sees you makes me smile just thinking about it!

Do not worry about being a "pushy" parent. You were told she would have a 1:1. So you are not asking of anything crazy!

Popular Posts