Wish

The Make-a-Wish trip was quite emotional for me.  When we went to Disney World last year, Matt spent most of the week feeling sad and depressed.  This trip was my turn.  I couldn't believe we were a MaW family.  I took Waverly on Soarin', a great ride that simulates flying around CA sites.  I cried through the entire ride, so sad that she was never going to have the opportunity to see so many of those beautiful places.  I didn't know how to respond to those people who said things like, "they are going to remember this trip for the rest of their lives".  I looked around at all of the other families and I was jealous.  I wanted to shake them and remind them just how fortunate they are.

Waverly was different on this trip, too.  She was much more catatonic than our previous trips.  She didn't smile or giggle very often...really only when meeting the characters.  Otherwise she was fairly sedate.  I was hoping to see more expression and enjoyment.  I was sad to see her reactions fading.

I was able to enjoy the week.  I had a wonderful time.  But the sadness kept creeping into my heart.  I wish things were different.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I have no words of comfort to offer. Just know that I think of you and your family often. I've said it before and will say it again. You inspire me to be the best teacher that I can be and to go that extra mile to reach students like Waverly and Oliver. Your trip sounds like it was full of many happy memerios, with some inner struggles too. But cherrish what you can and know if anything your story is changing the lives of others!

Helen
Danielle said…
I know exactly how you felt. You want to enjoy the moment but your heart is breaking and you want to scream at people how lucky they are- they have a chance at a future with their kids and they do not enjoy it. If they only knew- if they could walk in our shoes for just a moment- so many families would be much better. I wanted more than just moments. I wanted forever with Mason.

But all we can do is live the best we can and hope to enjoy those moments when you see them smile.
Jenkins said…
I wish I could give you a big hug. I cannot fathom all of those emotions, happy, sad...all at the same time.
For now you can give Waverly the world (on a smaller scale) in her world.

Popular Posts