First Day of School

Today was Oliver's first day of school. I snapped this photo just before I took him in to meet his teacher. (His backpack was so heavy it pulled him over. I have since remedied the situation.) He was fairly nervous as we entered the building. We had met his teacher twice before, which helped him feel a bit more comfortable. I stayed in the classroom for only a few moments and then left. Oliver burst into tears as I walked out the door, but his teacher reassured me that this was the best way and he would be fine. When I returned 3 hours later, he was still crying. She said he cried for most of the morning, but stopped during certain activities...one being snack (OF COURSE!). She said his behavior was quite typical and it will take him a week or two to get used to the new schedule. I think we are in for a huge temper tantrum tomorrow morning.

Waverly did beautifully. I dropped her off and was able to meet her teacher & 1:1. I gave them a bunch of literature on Sanfilippo, because they will understand her so much better with a little education. She was all smiles when I picked her up this afternoon. I think she loves being back in a routine and getting the chance to play with her peers.

I am so thankful that our school district offers such a great program for children with special needs. It is such a benefit to both the kids and parents.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What a precious picture of your sweet boy! Congrats Oliver!
Joann in AL
S.A. said…
I followed some links, and landed here. I cannot imagine what you and your family face every day. Your son is adorable, and it sounds like you live in a great area for special ed. I work with special needs kids, and I hear all the time how services vary across the country. It will indeed get better; I work with a child 1:1 at home who used to begin to weep when he heard my car alarm; I am now one of his favorite people in the world. :) Good luck and god bless.

Popular Posts