Tea Parties

We had a very uneventful weekend. Matt had to work both Saturday and Sunday, so we didn't do much of anything. I did take the kids to the mall on Saturday for haircuts...always an adventure. Oliver cried the entire time. Waverly giggles the entire time, but is super squirmy. Fortunately, there is an ample supply of lollypops available to keep them happy. I will take some photos tomorrow of their new 'dos.

This next week is Oliver's last week of summer school. On Friday, I was able to drop him off in front of the school where the assistant waits to take the kids to their classroom. Every time I have tried to pass Oliver off to Lauren, he screams and throws himself down. This time he still cried, but willingly took her hand and walked down the hall. His teacher said he hardly cried!! She took some more video of him during music class and he was actively participating in a hot potato like game. I cried while watching him pass a big bear to his classmate.

Waverly begins her fourth week of summer school. She has 3 more weeks to go. She still jumps for joy when the bus pulls up. There have been such significant changes in her within the last month. I have mentioned her feeding skills declining. She is also beginning to flail her arms around a lot more than usual, resulting in items being thrown all over the house. Poor Preeti was hit twice in the face with books and Oliver took a toy hammer to the head. She is also losing strength in positioning, meaning she is slouching more and sliding out of chairs. We also want to have another swallowing study down soon, to address some of her feeding issues.

It is so difficult to watch her little body decline so quickly. Matt and I were reminiscing, remembering Waverly when she was younger. She used to love to have tea parties, push her doll around in the stroller and dress up in her Snow White dress. Such lovely memories. I love her so much for who she is today, but I can't help but dream about who she was supposed to be.

Comments

Anonymous said…
When Will started special Ed we did not have a diagnose, he was 3. He was in class with typical peers as well as special ed children. They put on a little Christmas presentation in the classroom and I cried the entire time. I cried that he was participating and I cried at what he wasn't doing....I cried the entire time. I didn't expect to cry but that was all I could do. I feel so deeply for your circumstance. My daughter and I talk about the person Will was suppose to be alot...I understand, Misty www.miracle4will.com
Anonymous said…
As a special education preschool teacher I am honored that you entrust us "professionals" with your special gifts. You (parents) are the professionals that teach us everyday. We spend a brief, few hours a day with your very wonderful and special children, you must spend the remainder of the day with them. I am amazed with my parents and with you!!!! I do not believe that I could ever walk in your shoes as strongly as you do. I would crumble and be worthless. I am inspired as a human being by your strength. As a teacher of these special and wonderfully gifted children that bring enless joy to my life I must strive harder and do more to insure that under my care and guideness these students reach their max potential. Know that my thoughts, prayers and hugs comes from the west coast to you and your family as endure these times.

Helen
The Leivas said…
I cried reading about Oliver. Both Oliver and Waverly remind me so much of Olivia. I cry when she wanders off on her own because I'm sad she's missing out, I cry with happiness (and sadness that it may be the last time) when she does participate in an activity. Before Olivia was diagnosed I could count on one hand the times I'd cry in a given month, now if I can get through a day without crying it's a plus :). What can I say, I guess I'm a cryer. I have learned to appreciate every single new experience or new activity with Olivia. I know all to well that it may be the first and last time she says or does something. I can tell you appreciate all of these things as well.

I can't begin to tell you how much I enjoy reading your blog, thank you so very much for sharing.

Laurie
Laura said…
I wish we didn't live on a dead end street so the school bus could be a better option for us. I bet Julie would jump for joy just like Wavey!

Popular Posts