Where's Your Belly?

Tonight is a sad night. I am listening to some good music (Death Cab for Cutie, for those interested) and sitting in my sadness. Sometimes I simply need to feel. Yesterday I asked Oliver where his belly, head, nose, etc are. Maybe he was just distracted, but he didn't respond and when he did he was wrong. I remember those moments with Waverly a few years back. She stopped answering the routine questions. I never get to hear her say her name, age, or how she is doing anymore. Even though Oliver is for all intents and purposes non-verbal, he still communicates with us through signs, gestures and some sounds. I was reminded that those will soon begin to fade away.

Matt and I have decided to take Oliver to the beach for a few days in August. My mom and step-dad are graciously going to watch Waverly for us while we are gone. Wavey will love every moment with her grandparents. I was hesitant about taking a trip without her, but Matt reminded me of a trip we took to Cape May with Waverly when she was younger. We have such fond memories of her exploring the waves, playing in the sand, getting up early and going out for pancakes. We wanted to make those memories with Oliver, too. I am getting really excited for our little vacation.

Comments

The Leivas said…
What a special trip! I'm sure that you will all make some precious memories of your beach trip. Have fun planning!
Joanne said…
Oh Shannon,

I feel such sadness right now and understand the contents of this post in its entirety. I wish there was something I could say to comfort you right now.

I think you both have a wonderful idea in taking Oliver to the beach. It's a win win in that Waverly will have a wonderful time with her grandparents and you both can create such special mmemories with Oliver. I'll be eager to read all about it come August. I'm sending a hug your way. Joanne
Elise said…
I think taking a trip alone with the second child is a wonderful idea. Second children never get the same 1:1 attention as the first, I think they all deserve some special trips alone with Mom & Dad. I hope you have a wonderful time.
Misty said…
You are suppose to feel the sadness...under the circumstances. I feel it too, my sister suggest medication and I told her that I think I am suppose to feel it as well. Enjoy the beach, enjoy anything that you can. Enjoy the moment and be their Mommy. They love you with all that they are, enjoy them. Misty
www.miracle4will.com
Jenkins said…
Oh my heart aches for you. I pray that you can cherish every moment. Making every moment a kodak moment! Making those lasting memories that you can have with you always.
Your love and care for them is amazing.

Popular Posts