Wanderer

The kids are back in school for week 3 of their summer session. Oliver has continued to improve and only cried about 15 minutes today when I dropped him off. And he didn't throw himself to the floor - BIG improvement. His teacher has been video taping him the past few days, so I can watch his behavior in class. It has been wonderful to see that he doesn't spend all morning crying, but it has also been extremely depressing. Oliver tends to wander most of the time, unsure how to interact with his classmates. It reminds me a lot of Waverly when she was his age. He rarely responds to the other children. He is in his own little world. I am so sad that he has never really had a little friend. I wish I would have been more intentional about getting him around other kids when he was younger.

Waverly is doing well at school. Tomorrow her class is celebrating a birthday. She is going to love it! The change in her behavior at the dinner table is astounding. She is completely unable to have a plate of food in front of her. She dumps her plate, throws her food, tips over her chair. We have to feed her and hand her food piece by piece. It is so sad. I hate that my beautiful little girl cannot even enjoy a simple meal anymore.

Comments

Heidi said…
Thinking of you....
Courtney said…
I hate it too Shan. It's so unfair! Thinking of you every day!
Joanne said…
Hi Shannon,

I am so utterly saddened to read of these changes taking place with your children. This disease is just so cruel and unfair. Sometimes skills will return again when they appear to be slipping away, so I'll be praying for this with Waverly and Oliver. Thinking of you a lot, Joanne
Laura said…
Shannon,
Julie is now so similar to Waverly. It's amazing how quickly she has changed. Basically everything I told you about her when we first met is gone.
Our meal times are a complete disaster as well. Sometimes we just hand feed her while she is watching TV in her room. At least that way, she eats all the veggies and there is little mess. I feel like we lose either way. I guess that's why the little things are so important - the big things just aren't going to be coming through for us.
Tina Miles said…
Shannon, I don't know if you even knew me at Taylor, but I do remember you and have been following your blog and praying for you guys. Please don't feel bad for not getting Oliver around other kids when he was younger--you'd find they didn't play together and make friendships at that age anyway. You're dealing with so much, I don't want you to add guilt on top of it. I'm so sorry you are having to go through this, and we do keep you guys in our prayers.

Tina (Harbin) Miles

Popular Posts