Birthday Party



Waverly and I attended one of her classmate's birthday parties this afternoon. It was a lovely little get together, perfectly planned for our children. We read stories, played in the backyard, had snacks, opened presents and the cupcakes. Wavey did a beautiful job. 5 of her friends from school were there and I could tell she was comfortable with them, because she was calm. I haven't spent a lot of time with the other moms, so it was nice to chat. One of them asked about Wavey's syndrome, when I mentioned that I had a 3 year-old son with the same condition. I gave her a brief synopsis - developed normally, lost skills, progressive nature of the disease and it's terminal. She had tears in her eyes. I have become so accustomed to the description of the disease, that I no longer flinch when telling people about it. I used to try to hide the grim reality, but I realized that it is much better to be honest and straightforward. I feel better understood and I think people look at the kids a little differently (in a good way). We had a wonderful time.

Comments

Joanne Huff said…
Hi Shannon,

I loved reading about the birthday party you and Waverly went to. I love her smile in the photos, she looks adorable with her missing front tooth!

I can very much relate to recanting the details of this disease to others, and being able to deliver the info almost robotically. I realize that I sometimes still skip over the worst details, and feel it's a disservice to do so. I'm trying to be more honest about the condition to others.

Thanks for writing about this, it's wonderful to get another Mom's perspective on some of the more intimate struggles with the disease.

Again, I'm so glad the party was such a great day! Joanne
Laura said…
I saw a neighborhood mom acquaintance yesterday at Target. She knew about Julie's diagnosis, but I don't think we had spoken since Julie had the dramatic regression a year ago. She asked how Julie was doing and I caught her up without even getting close to losing it. It's progress!!!!!

Popular Posts