Beautiful


Here are 2 photos I took this morning.  Waverly is coming home with so many art projects and I love having them all over the house.  I put her painting on the door yesterday.  She HATES to paint, but with some assistance she created this beautiful picture.  I love it.

Matt and I reading up on the upcoming IEP meeting.  We are reading through our rights and what to expect.  I was really hoping not to have to go to battle.  I thought that will all of the documentation we have from so many therapists, teachers and doctors.  Plus the medical diagnosis, that it would be easy.  I am not looking for extra services or specific placement.  I just want to know that when I send Waverly to school she is going to be safe.  And right now, I do not feel like the district is providing that for her.

I appreciate the comments and e-mails from those of you who work in the special education field.  Waverly is a unique case, according to everyone, since she is regressing.  Setting goals is difficult.  I am hoping that if I can education the panel on what Sanfilippo is, they will have a better understanding of Waverly and what she requires.

On a different note, we have some very dear friends flying in to visit us tomorrow.  They were with us for Waverly's first 3 years, when we were living in Columbus.  I am so excited to see them and to have them see the kids.  I think it is most difficult for those who knew Waverly when she was younger - the incredibly sweet, reserved, attentive little girl.  But they will love the girl she has become, too.

Comments

Unknown said…
IEPs are frustrating things overall. We are on our 5th year of IEP's without a formal diagnosis and a "let's try this" mentality that is maddening. I'm not even going to try to compare our situations, but I want to encourage you... it is not an instant, overnight thing. They really do try to get an IEP in place that will be the best for Waverly. Jax has a classroom aide, so that should not be the hard part. We love you guys!
Lizze said…
I'm sorry that you have to take on the system on behalf of Waverly. I had hoped (much like you) that things would go smoothly without hastles. I'm thinking and praying for you all.
Unknown said…
You are her best advocate and I pray you are blessed with a positive experience.

I have been through the IEP process with one of my children. While it's pretty standard, I found the biggest component of success had to do with the staff and administration involved. It all looks great on paper, but how will it be realistically implemented? That's a really important bit about an IEP. Ask for clarification and examples. Sometimes they forget that this is *your* first time doing it vs. their 232nd time whipping one out, so don't be afraid dig in a bit if you feel you're getting a "drive by" IEP. Seriously,though, most people I've talked to have had some great experiences with it.

Best wishes to you and enjoy your visiting time with friends!
Kecia said…
We dont know you guys,but we've learn to love you from distance!
We are praying so Jesus can provide you with faith,grace,and strength,to fight your battles successfully!!
LOVE YOU IN CHRIST!!
Teresa aka Joy said…
These are some of Stephenie's "goals"
She will be free of injuries.
She will remain free from heat exhaustion.
Hips will remain free moving and with minimal discomfort.

Most of Stephenie's goals are "positive" statements that counter problems. The one about hips goes with the diagnosis of hip dysplasia. The one about being free of injuries goes with "seizures".
Stephenie does not have the mental capacity for learning. Because of the microcephally she has lost most of the few abilities she once had. We had to do some thinking because IEP's (according to her worker) are supposed to be worded positively. Also, her goals are mostly for her safety and comfort. You may need to help the school staff to think outside the box.
Hope this helps.
DAN BUCK said…
Shannon- I have been a teacher in the public school system for 10 years. You fight for what is best for Waverly. Period. Go into the meeting prepared- with a list for why you know Waverly is going to need a full time one-on-one aide. She is a perfect canidate for an aide- at the very least a part time aid with the promise of a full time once it is needed. Together as a group (IEP team) decided in that meeting when it would be appropriate to switch to a full time aide. My experience is that you don't get what you need unless you fight (unfortunatly) for it. I don't think school systems are trying to make it difficult. Usually it boils down to monitary reason. Thinking and praying for you often.

Courtney
Jenkins said…
IEPs are an experience for everyone involved. We will embarking on that soon for our Brayden.
A very close friend (a lawyer by profession) just started her daughter in preschool through Loudoun County. The IEP process was very long and frustrating. Her daughter requires a lot of care and has several different therapies. It took some time but finally got things figured out. Because of the process she has started taking disability advocacy training. She might be a good resource for you? In the same area, similiar experience (not diagnosis) and wanting the absolute best and constant care.
Wishing you the best with the process.
Carrie
braydenandmommy.blogspot.com
efcarrie@aol.com

Popular Posts