Extraordinary Measures

The movie "Extraordinary Measures" opened this weekend.  Matt and I plan on seeing it soon.  It is a true story of a family with 2 children who have Pompe Disease.  It is a disease similar to Sanfilippo.  They are both Lysosomal Storage Disorders.  This movie highlights the difficulties families face in getting a treatment option.  Because these are orphan diseases (i.e. rare), they do not get funding.  Without funding researchers and doctors are unable to carry out their research.  And pharmaceutical companies don't give them the attention they need because they won't receive a huge payoff for their work, since there aren't a lot of children who will need the treatment.

I hope this movie celebrated the accomplishments of those involved in finding a treatment for Pompe.  I also hope it serves as a reminder that there are many other similar diseases without treatments and children are dying.

Comments

I had seen the preview for this film a while back and thought of you. I look forward to your review!
Joanne said…
I'm eager to see this movie as well, Shannon. While I know it will hit close to home, I imagine it will be very uplifting as well. It certainly seems to have a message of hope!!

I can't wait to hear how you liked it! Joanne
Anonymous said…
I seen the movie yesterday evening. Well worth seeing.
Praying in Missouri
Bonnie
Szogedi Home said…
Wow! This looks like a powerful movie. Please let us know what you think after you see it. Praying for you, Matt, Waverly and Oliver.

Tamara
BlestNews said…
We saw the movie Friday. Very touching and encouraging. Thought of you and your precious children.
A interesting note is that screen writer grew up in the nearby Poconos.
Joan
Jenkins said…
Let me know when you see it. I want to go too!
Anonymous said…
I saw the movie having lost our first child at 17 months we almost walked out within the first 10 minutes. But, my mind and heart watched it as if you two were watching it and I have thought and prayed for you often these days. See it, bring some tissues, and prepare yourselves to grieve.

Popular Posts